Bobo is this week's CHIC! She has a unique style that we absolutely love! She takes risks with her style but does not miss a beat! Check out what she had to say about her hair and personal style!
1. How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I’ve been natural for two years now. I transitioned for about a year, then I big chopped and kept my hair in braids for a while.
2. How would you describe your hair texture?
My hair texture is tough and resilient, a lot like me!
3. What is your favorite go to hair style?
Literally anything with a headscarf. Nothing transforms a look like a good headscarf!
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
The last time I had braids, they ruined my hairline a little bit. But thankfully I discovered Jamaican black castor oil and it basically just changed my life.
5. What do you love most about being natural?
Probably the variety of things you can do with your hair: Twist-outs, Braids, Blow-outs, All the protective styles etc …
6. What are your top 3 hair products?
1) JAMAICAN BLACK CASTOR OIL!!! (I Cannot emphasize this enough)
2) Coconut Oil
3) All Natural Jamaican black castor oil shampoo with Shea Butter from Tropical Isle Living
7. How would you describe your personal style?
I’m an amalgam of fashion ingredients. I feel like my style is ever-evolving, but I generally always gravitate towards the colours, patterns and prints. With that being said, I would probably describe my style as eclectic and afrocentric.
8. What are your favorite clothing stores?
My three favorite stores right now are Zara, Topshop and Nastygal. But for the most part, my best finds are from vintage shops and random markets.
9. Who are your favorite celebrity fashionistas?
Anyone who knows me, knows I’m in love with Erykah Badu. If I could raid anyone’s wardrobe it would be hers cause I love how Afrocentric her look is. But one of my favorite celebrity fashionistas and my celebrity crush by far is Solange. Her style is actually perfect, and I love her!
10. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
My most worn pieces at the moment are my black cutout shoes from urban outfitters, and my collection of South African beaded jewelry, which complete literally every outfit.
11. What is your favorite Spring/ Summer trend?
My favorite trend at the moment is definitely the white chunky, cut-out shoes. I love a really, clean, crisp, structured shoe especially when it’s paired with soft, pastel hues. But my favorite trend will forever be the classic red lip. Lipstick always completes the look.
12. What would you say is your most prized item in your closet? Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge? What do you cherish most in your closet?
My most prized possession in my wardrobe is my blue 1980’s vintage jumpsuit that I got from Shareen Vintage in LA (Refer to pictures). It’s got the crazy shoulder pads and the plunging neckline, I’m in love with it. And of course my go-to lipsticks – ‘Ruby Woo’ and ‘Sin’ by Mac. Can’t live without ‘em.
13. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
I think the best piece of advice I could give is that you don’t have to follow trends to be stylish. Basically, if you just have fun with your wardrobe and dress for no one else but yourself, you’ll inevitably be fabulous. Life is too short to wear boring clothes.
14. Given your natural hair journey, what do you wish you would have known earlier and what would be your advice to your fellow curl friends?!
The one thing I would tell anyone who’s thinking of going natural or is already on that route, is that IT’S JUST HAIR! Seriously, Natural Hair is not a competition, so don’t compare your hair to anyone else’s and don’t be scared to switch it up and try new looks. Just have fun with it, and keep it healthy.
How can we keep up with you? IG,FB, Twitter, personal blog etc.
Facebook: Bobo Matjila
My new blog, which is still in the making: www.wandi-bobo.blogspot.co.uk