This week's CHIC is the lovely Chioma, the Kentucky based style blogger of “Chioma’s Evolution of Style”. We fell in love when we found Chioma through our Instagram page.Her style is so CHIC, and effortlessly classy. Chioma gets it right every time with her love for bright fun colors, and mixed prints. She has a style that we can definitely learn a few things from! Check out our interview with Chioma below.
1.How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I’ve been natural 3.5 years. I did both. I transitioned under protective styles for a year, went in for the big chop from my stylist and then had another protective style installed until I was comfortable styling my hair at its new length.
2. How would you describe your hair texture?
I have very coily and kinky textured hair. I think my hair type would best be described as 4b/4c.
3. What is your favorite go to hair style?
I love twist outs on blown out hair and wearing my hair in marley twists in humid weather to give my hair a break.
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
The back half of my hair is very tightly coiled so in humid weather, I experience major shrinkage. I have been styling my hair when it’s dry a lot more this year and that has helped keep my stretched styles elongated longer.
5. What do you love most about being natural?
I love how versatile it is. I think being natural has not only enhanced my confidence but my personal style.
6. What are your top 3 hair products?
Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Kinky Curly Knot Today leave in detangler, (does Castor Oil count?), & the Shea butter whip I make for my hubby and I. I’m pretty excited to try a couple of Oyin Handmade products when I remove my Marley Twists this fall.
7. How would you describe your personal style?
Classic & Funky. I love bright colors and unique prints. It excites me to see how I can pair the two. I also love a classic midi skirt and I adore blouses and button downs.
8. What are your favorite clothing stores?
H&M, Forever 21, Zara, Asos, Target, & of course Thrift Stores!
9. Who are your favorite celebrity fashionistas?
Solange, June Ambrose, Tracee Ellis Ross, & Lupita. Honestly most of my inspiration comes from fellow fashion bloggers and the everyday woman I see with captivating style.
10. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
In the Spring/Summer: Skirts. In the Fall/Winter: Blazers.
11. As we prep for fall, what is your favorite Fall trend! What are you excited about?
I am loving how Ankara print is popping up all over the place! Being a Nigerian-American girl, it just speaks to me. I’m also excited to snag a couple of twin sets.
12. What would you say is yourmost prized item in your closet? Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge? What do you cherish most in your closet?
Hmmm…that’s a great question. Can I say my engagement and wedding band? lol My hubby customized them and they’re gorgeous if i do say so myself. It’s the one thing I wear everyday. ;) Aside from that, I’d say my vintage Dooney&Bourkey cross body purse was a pretty amazing designer thrift find!
13. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
Wear clothing that flatters your body type, makes you feel confident and beautiful, reflects your personality, and just have fun with it!
14. Given your natural hair journey, what do you wish you would have known earlier and what would be your advice to your fellow curl friends?!
I wish I hadn’t become a product junkie the first year of my natural hair journey (ha!). I also wish I had never gotten color in my hair, it looked beautiful, but the health of my hair deteriorated greatly. To my fellow curl friends, I would advise you to find a simple routine that helps your hair retain moisture and just be patient. Oh, and don’t compare your hair to other naturals, no matter how tempting it may be!
Any parting words for us and our readers?
Thank you so much for reaching out to me for this feature and for those of you reading this, it was a pleasure chatting with you! Hope to see your faces over on the blog! :)