When we first saw Ofunne on our Instagram feed, we instantly fell in love with her amazing style and lovely big hair! We would describe Ofunne's style as posh and sophisticated with a nice effortless edge. Her eye for monochromatic looks is seriously amazing. Ofunne has mastered the all black or all white look and she has truly made it her own. You can catch Ofunne tearing up the streets of NYC and making them her runway! Check out what she had to say about her natural hair and oh so fabulous style!
1. How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I have been natural since 2009. I was too scared to do the big chop so I have just been transitioning ever since.
2. How would you describe your hair texture?
My hair texture is what most people would call 4C: thick, coarse, very tightly wound coils sometimes with a "Z" pattern.
3. We know you have been rocking a fierce protective style that we LOVE, can you give us the details on it and how you maintain it?
I actually just recently changed my protective style. But before, I was wearing a weave that mimicked natural hair. Most of the time, I used conditioner and water to detangle and style it. Keeping the hair detangled is the main challenge you will face with this type of hair. I also used flaxseed gel to style the hair as well.
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
One of the problem areas I am most concerned with is my edges. I try to put as little pressure possible on them as I can. I also occasionally apply castor oil to help them grow.
5. What do you love most about being natural?
I love the versatility of being natural and the volume that comes with it. My hair used to be so flat when I used relaxer. But now that I am natural, I can wear my real hair in twist outs or braid outs, creating volume. And even when I press my hair, it still has body to it.
6. What are your top 3 hair products?
1. Pantene Pro V Deep Conditioner for Natural Hair
2. Flaxseed Gel
3. KeraCare Edge Tamer
7. How would you describe your personal style?
I'd like to think of my personal style as very minimalist with somewhat of an edge. I like to mix hard, masculine pieces with and softer, more feminine pieces while keeping the tone monochromatic. However, I also like playing with prints as well. I also love very feminine silhouettes like body con dress and pencil skirts. Dresses are probably my favorite thing to wear. If I'm able to wear a dress to an occasion, I'm a happy girl.
8. What are your favorite clothing stores?
I love shopping at Zara, H&M, and Asos.com primarily.
9. Who are your favorite celebrity fashionistas?
Rihanna is definitely my number one fashion icon. She looks flawless in just about everything and she wears her clothes with an undeniable confidence. She is also very versatile. One minute she's all glammed up in a designer gown and the next she is wearing a cute tee, baggy jeans, and Tims. I love it.
10. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
Right now, probably my white sandals from lolashoetique.com. Although the weather is rapidly changing that fact!
11. What is your favorite Fall trend?
My favorite fall trend would have to be vampy lipstick. The darker colored lipsticks tend to be more popular in the fall and winter. I love the drama of a dark lip.
12. What would you say is your most prized item in your closet? Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge?
My most prized items are probably the vintage Nigerian clothes my mother gave me. They are cool already because they are vintage and they represent my Nigerian heritage, but they mean even more to me because they were given to me by my mother.
13. Where do you draw your style inspiration from?
I draw inspiration from some of the amazing fashion bloggers I follow, my mother, my Nigerian heritage, and my style icon, Rih Rih.
14. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
I would just say take note of how you style yourself everyday and take risks in order to find out what your aesthetic is. You might even begin to see a trend of things you like to wear and things you realize you actually don't like so much. Conversely, you may also find that you are playing it too safe and seek out styles and silhouettes that are even more out of your comfort zone. Fashion is about your own unique perspective. So do whatever it takes to make sure the clothing you wear really reflects who you are as an individual (and also makes you feel like a bawse.)
Check out her awesome blog: www.all-dat-jazz.com
Follow on Instagram: @KerriLove