This week's CHIC is the lovely Hey Curlie!! We just fell in love with Hey Curlie's beautiful hair. She is definitely one of our hair crushes! It also helps that she has effortlessly CHIC style! Check out what she had to say about her natural hair journey and personal style!
1. How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I have been natural going on 3yrs. I big chopped November 1, 2011
2. What is your favorite go to hair style?
My favorite style is a rod set.
3. What do you love most about being natural?
A) Versatility, being able to change my look from week to week.
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
My problem area is my crown, I've experienced heat damage. I am growing it out and I joined the Hey Curlie No Heat Challenge which I have vowed to not use heat for the next 6 months.
5. What are your top 3 hair products?
My top 3 hair products are:
A) Honeychile hair love lush custard
B) Aunatural LCO kit
C) Creme of Nature Argan oil shampoo
6. We know that you are hosting the Hey Curlie Heat Free Challenge, and we are so excited to be participating. Tell us why you decided to start this challenge, and what has been the longest period of time you have gone without using heat on your hair?
I started the Hey Curlie No Heat Challenge because of a few factors. I woke up one morning saying I am not going to use heat for the next 6mths. Lol, sounds crazy for some but It was a challenge I was willing to accept. I was inspired by my followers because of the questions I receive concerning retaining length and heat damage. You'll be surprise on how many people depend on heat for styling when it's not necessary. So I thought this would be a great way for those willing to participate to encourage each other on their journey to healthy hair.
I rarely use heat, I may blow dry 3x a year and flat iron every 6 months when I get a trim. I've gone 4 months with direct heat.
7. Why did you start your brand Hey Curlie, and what is your goal and plan for it?
I start Hey Curlie this year, 2014. My goals are you brings natural hair events/meets to the northeast Ohio area. My first event is next year, June 13, 2015.
8. How would you describe your personal style?
9. What are your favorite clothing stores?
My favorites stores are H&M, Missguided, Forever21 and Gap.
10. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
My leather jacket, lol. I can dress it up or down. It has been through many seasons.
11. As we prep for fall, what is your favorite Fall trend! What are you excited about?My favorite fall trend this year would have to be the splash of bold colors (such as royal blue, yellow and fuchsia) and jewel accessories. I am excited about incorporating those items into my wardrobe.
12. What would you say is your most prized item in your closet? Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge? What do you cherish most in your closet?
My prized item is my grandmothers broach. It's just the right amount of sparkle to add to a blazer or scarf.
13. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
My advice would be to have FUN. With fashion you can play it safe or live on the edge, just own it!!
14. Given your natural hair journey, what do you wish you would have known earlier and what would be your advice to your fellow curl friends?!
I wish I would have learned about heat damage in the beginning of my journey. I've experienced heat damage and I am currently growing it out (hanging on because I refuse to cut a bang). My advice my curlfriends would be to stay away from the direct heat. Your hair will thank you :)
How can we keep up with you: IG, FB, Twitter, personal blog etc.