This week’s CHIC is the beautiful Samara. Samara is the fashion, beauty, and natural hair blogger of Styled Chic! What caught our eye about Samara is how feminine, classic, and of course CHIC she is. You can find Samara in the cutest printed dresses or a nice classic blazer! We also love Samara’s current protective style. For the past two months she has been wearing crochet braids and we are totally obsessed with this style! They look amazing on her, definitely a perfect protective style idea! Check out what Samara had to say about her style and natural hair journey.
1. How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I have been natural for 4 1/2 years now. I transitioned for about 5 months and then finally did the big chop! I could no longer wait!
2. How would you describe your hair texture?
I would describe my hair as kinky curly. I have very small springy curls!
3. What is your favorite go to hair style?
My favorite go to style would definitely be a bantu knot out on straight hair (when I wanna go for a sexy look). Or I will go to my two strand twist out just out of habit!
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
I think my biggest challenge would be detangling my hair and the time it takes to do so. I'm constantly on the search for great products to help aid in reducing time and that creates lots of slip to prevent breakage!
5. What do you love most about being natural?
What I love most about being natural is the versitilty of how I can wear my hair. I also love that I can be proud to wear my own hair and rock how it naturally grows out of my head!
6. What are your top 3 hair products?
Alikay Naturals Caribbean Coconut Milk Shampoo and Conditioner & Beautiful Textures Curl Pudding!
6. How would you describe your personal style?
My personal style depends on my mood and what look I'd like to go for. The occasion, where I'm going, etc. I will say that my style is simple, yet chic and I like to spice things up with color too!
7. What are your favorite clothing stores?
Definitely H&M, F21, Zara, Shop LunaB, and Nasty Gal!
8. Who are your favorite celebrity fashionistas?
Lauren Conrad, Miranda Kerr, Jessica Alba, and Zoe Saldana!
9. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
This summer, probably my white jeans because they just go so easily with everything!
10. What would you say is your most prized item in your closet? Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge? What do you cherish most in your closet?
I really cannot pick one item alone. I like to cherish every item in my closet because I spent money on them or the may have been a gift. I like to take good care of them all!
11. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
Always keep things classy and timeless. Even if you do go sexy there's a way to do it. I always say that when I look at a photo 10 years from now of myself I'd still like to be able to say that I look good and would totally rock the look now!
12. Given your natural hair journey, what do you wish you would have known earlier and what would be your advice to your fellow curl friends?!
There's nothing really I wish that I would have known. I think my journey was great, no real frustrations or mishaps. My advice to curl friends would be to really research if you have questions. Take the time to learn about your own curl pattern and how to take care of it yourself before you look at the next girl and then start comparing. I went natural when there wasn't a truckload of info out there like there is now. And I was still able to figure things out. I'm always amazed at women today who still can't really figure out a twist out for example or what products work best for them. It's all about doing your own learning. Just figure it out!
You can keep up with me through my blog: www.Styledchic.net