This week's CHIC is the lovely Staci of Coco and Click blog! On any given day you can catch Staci walking the streets of New Jersey with a huge smile, big hair, and a stylish head to toe outfit! We simply love Staci's bright personality and how she effortlessly styles her favorite thrifted pieces. Staci is a fashionista, that doesn’t have to spend much to look CHIC. Her motto is "Dress to impress the mirror and shop to impress your pockets." Gotta love a CHIC with that mentality! Check out what Staci had to say about her fabulous fro and style!
1. How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I've been natural all of my life. I've texturized my hair once when I was in 7th grade and added some color with highlights when I thought it was cute in my teens. But this past May is when I really started to embrace my natural curls; so it was more of a transition — I wish I had the guts for a big chop!
2. How would you describe your hair texture?
Curly. I used to hate when my hair was described as kinky. But, I guess it's kinky curly too. Certain sections have different type of curls.
3. What is your go to style and how do you maintain it?
My go to style depends on the season. Wash and go, hands down, in the Summer. Having my curls be free and really letting them do its thing makes life in the Summer more enjoyable. I would say a twist out in the colder months. It allows my hair to retain moisture, while also, having a style that is easy and no fuss.
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
My problem areas have always been my crown and my ends. When I began this journey, I did a lot of research on how to get the healthiest hair and leave-in conditioner has been my best friend. I try to focus on my ends when applying leave-in and tucking them away whenever possible. Also, I've learned my heatless self-challenges have been the best thing I have done for myself. And of course, water! Drinking lots and lots of water!
5. What do you love most about being natural?
The freedom and versatility! I was thinking about this the other day.. The journey I have been on not only has helped me embrace my natural curls but, has helped in all aspects of my life. I see myself differently. I view my curls as beautiful and not full of resistance. I have gotten healthier, really trying to improve myself in all aspects of my life. But, it has definitely started in vain and with my curls.
6. What are your top 3 hair products?
Water, definitely! Leave-in conditioner, I swear by it. And oil ... I love olive, coconut, and tea tree oils!
7. How would you describe your personal style?
I would describe my personal style as comfy chic? I don't know. I always say I am a situational dresser. Once I know where I am going, I have the perfect outfit in my head. I dress to impress the mirror :)
8. What are your favorite clothing stores?
Thrift, vintage, outlets, ... I shop every where.
9. Who are your favorite celebrity fashionistas?
I love Solange's signature and effortless style. I love how Rihanna can wear anything and everything. I appreciate how Kim Kardashian knows how to dress her body. I enjoy other people's personal styles. I love Nicole Richie, Zoe Kavitz, and Blake Lively!
10. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
In the Summer, vintage denim cutoffs and in the Fall/Winter, probably my leather jackets!
11. What is your favorite winter trend?
I love thigh high boots and Winter White. Yum!
12. What would you say is your most prized item in your closet? Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge?
I would have to say some of my vintage designer findings like my Christian Dior coat and blazer, both purchased for $20 each!
13. Where do you draw your style inspiration from?
Street-style and old editorials from the 70's and 90's.
14. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
What I always say "Dress to impress the mirror and shop to impress your pockets."