This week's CHIC is the lovely Sydney aka Posh Syd. Sydney is from Brooklyn, NY, but currently resides in West Reading, PA! Sydney definitely has not lost her city girl style! She has an effortlessly "posh" style which is why her name is so fitting! We also can't help but love her gorgeous curly fro!! Check out our interview with Sydney and what she had to say about her style and beautiful natural hair!
1. How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I'm 27 months Post Relaxer ( last relaxer was September 12') and my big chop was April 13' so I've been completely natural a little over a year and a half.
2. How would you describe your hair texture?
My hair is very kinky, coily and coarse... But I love it!
3. What is your go to style and how do you maintain it?
My go to style would have to be the twist out. It took me some time to master it , but once I did, THAT WAS IT! Lol I try to get my twist-outs to last a couple of days ( 5 + , yea I definitely try to stretch it lol) so at night I use 4 elastic bands and put 4 puffs in my hair.
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
I have extremely dry hair and scalp so I am always using my infamous spray bottle , filled with water and leave in conditioner ,on my hair to keep it moisturized. I also massage oil (Jamaican black castor oil) into my scalp every other day because my scalp is very dry and apply castor oil to seal my hair after its sprayed.
5. What do you love most about being natural?
I love the versatility of being natural and the liberation it gives me. I can embrace things such as enjoying a perfect rainy spring day without searching for my hair net, shower cap and paddle brush to put my hair in a doobie and run to the nearest place for shelter because I need my wash & set to last until my next salon visit! lol My natural hair texture is me, and overall I love just being able to be Sydney.
6. What are your top 3 hair products?
Eco Styler Gel
Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Camille Rose Almond Jai Butter
7. How would you describe your personal style?
I would describe my style as "Affordably, Effortlessly Chic" if there is such a category lol
8. What are your favorite clothing stores?
My favorite places to shop would be ; h&m,forever21, Zara and I am also a big fan of thrifting as you can find some hidden gems at the thrift store.
9. Who are your favorite celebrity fashionistas?
BEYONCÉ is my idol and I love her style, however I adore her sister Solangé's style as well. Two different sides of the spectrum however I love them both and when combined I get Sydney's style.
10. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
My wardrobe is so diverse and ever changing so at any given moment a particular piece can be my staple for that period. Right now my staple piece would be my faux fur vest. I love fur right now!
11. What is your favorite fall/winter trend?
I love knit scarves and fly boots!
12. What would you say is your most prized item in your closet?Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge?
I actually thrifted a mink coat and I love it! I've always wanted one and couldn't believe the price I was able to get it for. You can't tell me anything when I put that baby on!
13. Where do you draw your style inspiration from?
I draw inspiration from everywhere , people, places, movies etc. lol . I can go to the grocery store and see different bags of chips placed together and the color placement of the bags can set off an idea for a new look . It's crazy! Lol
14. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
My one fashion tip would be to draw inspiration from people, places and things but ultimately make it your own. Fashion is the expression of ones self through clothing and you do not need a a million bucks to look like a million bucks!