This week's CHIC is one of our favorite naturalistas, Crystal Rollins! We absolutely love Crystal and her style. She always shows such versatility and she mixes her style up so effortlessly. We love following her on Instagram as she shows us multiple ways to style pieces which inspires us daily; also it doesn’t hurt that she has amazing thick curls to compliment her bold CHIC style!! Check out what she had to say about her natural hair journey and her personal style.
1. How long have you been natural? Did you transition or big chop?
I have been natural for 4 years. I big chopped on August 25, 2010, wore a fade for one year before growing my hair out, only to big chop again and have mini chopped twice since 2011. I’m currently resisting the urge to BC again.
2. How would you describe your hair texture?
My hair texture is coarse and tightly coiled.
3. What is your favorite go to hair style?
Before my hair was long enough to bun without bobby pin assistance, my favorite go to hair style was a twist out but since retaining more length, I’ve lived in a bun; its chic, effortless, and goes with all clothing styles in my opinion.
4. What are your problem areas if any and how are you working to combat them?
My problem area is moisture retention which I combat with the LOC method and the newly implemented weekly deep conditioning treatments as opposed to bi-weekly (or the occasional monthly TLC).
5. What do you love most about being natural?
I love being natural because I can do whatever I want whenever I want to! #Unlimited
6. What are your top 3 hair products?
Currently my top three products are Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist, a concoction of EVOO, Coconut, Carrot, and Castor oils, and Aunt Jackie’s Knot on My Watch Instant Detangling Therapy (leave-in).
7. How would you describe your personal style?
My style is very versatile, it’s a combination of relaxed, casual, vintage, hipster, retro boho, classic & chic! Comfortable above all.
8. What are your favorite clothing stores?
Although I shop various (retail) stores my favorite will always be any thrift store!
9. Who are your favorite celebrity fashionistas?
My favorite celebrity fashionistas include but definitely aren’t limited to Miranda Kerr, Taylor Swift, Solange Knowles, Jennifer Lopez, Tracee Ellis Ross, Jessica Alba, Beyonce Knowles-Carter, Oliva Wilde, Jessica Biel, & Nicole Richie.
10. What is the most worn piece in your closet?
My most worn piece is a pair of DIY shorts from thrifted jeans; I literally wear them with anything!
11. What is your favorite Spring/ Summer trend?
My favorite summer, fall and Winter (in Texas lol- with stockings) trend is high waist shorts
12. What would you say is your most prized item in your closet? Is it a vintage charm you found thrifting, or a designer splurge? What do you cherish most in your closet?
I consider all of my thrifted vintage pieces prized possessions, but I cherish my leopard print scarf that my late grandma gave to me the most.
13. Since you are obviously a ChicNaturalista what would be a bit of fashion advice for our readers?
Be creative with your wardrobe, think of inexpensive ways to play up different styles and collect multipurpose pieces such as button down shirts, crop tops, and solid color bottoms. Also patterns and prints can be your best friends as you can mix prints for bold and risky looks!
14. Given your natural hair journey, what do you wish you would have known earlier and what would be your advice to your fellow curl friends?!
At the start of my natural hair journey I wish I would have known how to properly moisturize my hair. Moisturized hair is essential to healthy hair! Maintain balance. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize! (Everything in moderation though for too much of anything could be bad for you.)
How can we keep up with you? IG,FB, Twitter, personal blog ect